This has been my dilemma.
Saturday we went apartment hunting back in our old neighborhood and I was in heaven! Just being in the area brings back old memories of our courtship, planning the wedding, sunning myself on the roof and out by the pool and all the feel good memories that come with being back there. We stopped by what has to be THE nicest place in the area just to take a looksee, I had no intention of liking it so much. Who am I kidding, y’all I am all over IT!
Here are the amenities and features with the already standard in room laundry, fireplace, granite counter tops, upgraded appliances etc etc.
- 24-Hour Front Desk
- 24/7 Call Center
- Fitness Club-They have a masseuse and personal trainer on call with pilates classes!
- Garage Parking
- Metro Accessible-the metro is literally across the street!
- Pets Welcome
- Swimming Pool -with a hot tub
- Bathrooms with soaking tubs and ceramic tiling-the soaking tub is a must have for hubby if we move *sigh* I agree, I’ve gotten accustomed to soaking the day away at least 3 times a week.
- Epicurean inspired kitchens with ceramic flooring
- Fireplaces available
- High ceilings, plentiful natural light and abundant closet space
- Individual washers and dryers
- Penthouse apartments featuring crown molding, chair rail, granite countertops and Jacuzziâ„¢ whirlpool bathtubs
- Stunning views of Washington, DC, from private balconies or sunrooms
- White-on-white G.E. appliances, gas cooking and custom crafted cherry cabinetry
- Billiards room and Cyber CafÃ©-this comes with extra’s like WIFI throughout the first floor area, copiers, fax, scanners all free to residents. The billiards room can also be reserved free at any time and is open 24/7.
- Business center-Again free WIFI and free access to copiers, scanners and fax
- Fitness facility with cardio theatre, massage, aerobics classes and personal trainers
- Furnished guest suite available-ehh there are enough hotels in the area but this is a nice plus
- Great room for entertaining
- Large screen media room with surround sound-with movie nights weekly
- Swimming pool with sun deck, sauna and whirlpool
- Underground garage parking
- Concierge services provided by VIPdesk.com
- Pay your rent with American Express
- Walk to Metro
Even after all that it was really hard to try and justify spending $3000 a month to live there and this is where the lessons in value and necessity play out.
I value the lifestyle that living in this area affords us at this stage in our lives. We are a childless married couple no plans to have any children for another 2-3 years. So we like being able to pick up and go as we please and not having to tend to a yard or other types of maintenance associated with having a home. This will go against all conventional personal finance guru wisdom but I like living a certain way. So I know that if we moved away from our current area, it would have to be in a place/apartment/condo that offered certain features like the ones listed above. I admit I am rather materialistic in this way because I HAVE to be comfortable where I live. You won’t catch me living in the hood in the name of saving money. Not the kid. However, I can meet in the middle and take the 2BR down the street for $1785. Cool?
Do we NEED to live in a $3000/month apartment? We sure don’t! Are there other options? Sure are! (Aside: like the 2BR/2BA we saw for $1785 a few blocks away)
The truth is we don’t need to live there but it sure would be nice. What we need if we moved back is a 2BR/2BA apartment that’s walking distance to the metro, business center, in room laundry, pool, fitness center, 24 hour maintenance turn around with updated surroundings. It wouldn’t have to come with all the luxury style extras this apartment comes with but above all we want to be in a spacious apartment back in this area, just in case a little one does pop up.
One wild card I must mention, I did apply for a job with the management company and I fit the qualifications so we’ll see if I get a call back. My hope is that it will include a substantial discount for living on the property and we already agreed that if I got the job with at least a 30% discount we are SO there! Hubby thinks its free if I live on site but I’m not so sure. Either way the job would be right up my alley because I have the experience and savvy to succeed in such a position.
Let’s see what happens, I usually get what I want, still Im willing to balance things a bit out because I realize that renting this apartment probably goes against all PF Blogger wisdom, but I am human so we’ll see how this all plays out.